Back to basics: college edition


So as promised to one of my followers (Jon-quiqui), here's what I believe is my back to basics college set. These items (or things that are similar, like not so much a leather black skirt, but a basic cotton skirt) are things that I usually would consider wearing for school. This is just the bottoms, outerwear and some accessories like bags and whatnot part 1. Also, please don't try to think I'm suggesting anyone to buy a jacket that is $800 or jeans that are $200, I just picked the best looking items that were similar to what I would like or already have.

Bottoms:
  • Basic dark rinse jeans: I prefer skinny because it goes well with my figure. I think dark rinse jeans are the best because the dark color goes best with most colors. I also think wearing darker jeans make you seem/look more polished and mature.
  • plain black skinnies: I love black skinnies because they're so basic they go with many things and you still look sleak and composed.
  • Khaki trousers: These are perfect for days when you feel like dressing comfy and not looking like a bum. They're also a classic staple in anyone's wardrobe.
  • High-waisted shorts: I prefer not to look at women on campus who have almost no bottoms on because their shorts are wayy too short. I like these because you can still seem somewhat professional, but you can also dress with a casual top and look amazing.
  • Leggings: These are a staple in my wardrobe. Seriously, I wear them almost every other day. I just put them on with a loose top and some boots and I'm good to go. It's also really comfortable.
  • A basic skirt: Preferably something you can move in and won't be too short so that if you happen to drop your books in the middle of the quad everyone looks at your goodies. It's great to wear with a blouse or collared shirt or even a tank top on sunny days.
Outerwear:
  • Blazer: This is something that you may not think you need in your first year, but it helps during your undergraduate degree, as in, interviews for jobs/internships, etc. or also presentations for class if you want to look polished.
  • Chunky Cardigan sweater: I love love love wearing these chunky sweaters during the winter and on cold nights. It keeps you super warm and (like almost everything I pick) it goes well with the other basics.
  • Peacoat: I am so appreciative for my peacoat during cold cold cold days and nights. It not only keeps you warm, but you look pretty stylish and put together. I also use my peacoat for formal affairs when I don't want to freeze to death or wearing over my business attire during my internship.
  • (Military) Jacket: It doesn't necessarily have to be a military jacket, but a light structured jacket is a must. Something that isn't too heavy because walking around most campuses can be more like exercise and you don't want to be bogged down by a huge jacket. Jackets like these keep you from being cold during mornings and such.
Accessories:
  • Scarves: These are amazing little things. I have a bunch of them that I just put on before heading out the door and it makes such a difference in the cold and in my outfit. I prefer really chunky circle scarves.
  • Belts: I love basic brown leather belts, they totally make an outfit, but they still keep the outfit clean and minimalist at the same time.
  • Canvas bag: Whether it's a bad or a backpack, canvas bags are really durable and stylish at the same time. They're also usually light so you won't have extra weight to hold.
If you can't already tell I like comfortable clothes and things you can just put on in a rush because honestly in college, a few more extra minutes of sleep is a godsend. I picked neutral colors because they go so well with so many other colors or with themselves, but these colors are just my favorite color palette anyways so it's such a suggestion. Towards the summer and spring I fall into more colorful choices, but that's for another post lol.

Next post: Back to basics college Tops and Shoes

No comments: